Sunday, April 20, 2008

I'd vote for Barkley.

I love Charles Barkley. Because he was such a great basketball player? Not really, I didn't like him much when he played. Sure, as much as I didn't like him much, I had to respect the man's ability to play basketball. He's one of the greats. But, I'm not talking about his ability to play basketball now, I'm talking about who he is, the opposite of fake.

Perhaps that's why I didn't like him as a child. I loved Jordan's personality probably because he's most likely a fake. He probably just smiles to appease the media so that he can be liked. Someone that plays off that 'like' for selling the brand of 'Jordan'. Does it work? You betcha.

Barkley? Nope, he didn't care if you liked him or not. He just said what he believed and really meant it. He's actually sincere and real. Barkley was brash, arrogant, and honestly honest. As a kid I hated it, but now I'm finding that I can at least respect a person who isn't giving me a front, regardless of how abrasive I feel they are.

For this reason--and because he's got enough money to not want to go into politics just for the money--I think he'd be a great politician that can actually change things. This is exactly the right type of politician we need. Someone from the inside that we can trust.

The world would be better of with people who speak out and actually say the things that people avoid because they're afraid to offend.

He's not swayed by money, the dude's got plenty. He's not blinded by race, either.

It's because of quotes like this, "I don't create controversies," he has said. "They're there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention."

Or ... "You only get in trouble when you say what people don't want you to say."--Barkely, espn.com

Really, this man can change things. When he said that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are hypocrites, I was almost immediately hooked.

Charles, please do run. Let's see what someone who speaks what he really sees can do. Let's see how far a genuine person can go in our corrupt political world. I'll be rooting for you and I sure hope I won't be the only one.

Here's to someone who might actually be able to bring some real change.

--Brian

No comments: