Friday, June 6, 2008

Swinging

Have you ever just gone to the park late at night and gotten on the swings? Well, it's definitely an awesome thing to do when you're with someone who's having just as much fun as you. Maybe it's true, it's immature. But, the truth is that I'm glad I can have a good time being myself.

Besides, I almost hurled after I went upside down on the swings. How awesome is that?

Go out with your girlfriend, check. Get dinner, check. Go to the park at 10:30pm and almost hurl on a swing-set, check.

Yeap, sounds just about like an amazing night in the making... or perhaps just the beginning of a relationship with Brian... hhmm

It wouldn't have been the first time I've hurled in front of a girlfriend. The now infamous "van ride" to San Jose with the Lopez family was a good way to break in a new relationship.
I'll never forget those sweet words coming from my then sweetie, "Um... Dad. Can you pull over? Brian doesn't look so good."

It was no sooner than her saying those words when the bottle of water I had drank that morning made a grand exit from my tummy and luckily missing everything (and everyone) of importance.

Laughter ensued.

Why?

Was it because I was the guy who was trying to impress his new girlfriend's family? Maybe it was because it was just hilarious of me to throw up in the back seat of my girlfriend's dad's van. Perhaps it was because everyone knew I was a little bit nervous. Or... maybe, just maybe, it was because it was all these things coupled with the fact that I'm just Brian.

Whatever it may be, I've still not lived that day down. Not because it was a one time thing, but because it's been a legacy of mine. I've since thrown up two more times in a Lopez vehicle. That's right, two more times. Wow, talk about a series of bad luck events.

Anyway, needless to say I didn't want to start this relationship off the same way. It's good to know that I saw the consequences of a bad call of mine to go upside down while swinging (after eating food at Denny's) and got off the swings-set in a timely manner.

Yeap, I've learned my lesson. In fact, we went on to have a great night watching the stars and having a great time (without a stomach evacuation occurring) together.

Plus, thank goodness I have a wonderful girlfriend who seems to understand that I'm just not normal. Not only that, she thinks it's pretty cool. And that, my friends, I can't take for granted. I'm freakin' weird and I know it.

Oh, and I finally let myself go a bit that night. I was rewarded with a great return. Here's to a great start of a new relationship...


...hopefully without a traditional Brian 'moment'.

No comments: