Monday, February 25, 2008

Music (Repost)

Music. I think one of the most ultimate forms of expression. Amazing, beautiful, enchanting, moving, simple, yet complex. Music. It moves me forward and keeps me going. It's always changing and always fluid. When done right, it seems as though it stops time and you with it. When done wrong, it seems to break into your life and cause chaos in that moment.

Music... I cannot live without music. Try as I may, I cannot express how much it means to me. Not only to play it, not only to feel it, not only to hear it... but to really experience it. To immerse myself in it... to bathe in it. I may sound mad, crazy, whatever you will call it. But, the truth of the matter is that when I listen to simple, beautiful music I find that I am overcome with emotion.

I cannot fully explain why. Yet, with all my heart, I love it. It can move me like nothing else can. Happiness, joy, sorrow, pain, the indescribable feelings you get that you cannot explain. The feeling in your chest that grows when you hear it. Pushing its way up through your throat into your mind. Once there it rests for a moment only to overwhelm it. It then gracefully cascades forward into your eyes. To some, soft tears fall; to others, a smile. To me, my mind seems to sway into whatever it listens to.

Beautiful music. Oh what beautiful music... soft piano, skillfully played harps, guitar arpeggio... all of these as beautiful as the next. Yet, most beautiful when played with full emotion or feeling.

The most beautiful music to me when it is played with so much emotion that it pours itself inside of you and fills you to the brim. You cannot get away other than to turn the music--itself--off. But that would be ludicrous. Who could do such a thing? Not I. I must bathe in it and soak in all that it is. I feed off it. It is mine... at least for that moment.

I cannot live without music.

No comments: